Monday, November 16, 2009

People Watching

I love watching people. Call me a stalker, but I find human behavior to be extremely interesting and sometimes too predictable.

For instance, as I sit up on the fourth floor of the library and look down on a remote part of campus, I see a guy and a girl, most likely boyfriend and girlfriend, meet together, focused only on each other and not on anything around them (especially their fourth floor onlooker)...typical of passionate lovers.

They put their school bags down and begin to dance with each other. Yes, dance. It starts as a middle-school-distance dance. Most likely the guy is serenading her as the girl bends at the waist as if girl-ishly giggling at him. Unless he's got some silly song playing on an ipod I can't see, it's the only explanation I have for the music they dance to. As she laughs and leans in he pulls her closer.

As the slow dance continues they circle and circle and move closer and closer in their embrace. Why don't people today have actual dancing skills? Slowly the dancing dies off as they begin to kiss. I see a person begin to approach the area the two are dancing in. Knowing the nature of girls, I estimate their make out session will cease as the passerby pretends to pay no attention to them. Lo and behold it happens. The girl temporarily pulls away and gives her man a smile. The passerby doesn't even glance over. She probably knows they're there, but, true to human nature, doesn't acknowledge them. To break the resulting tension, the guy does a goofy little dance at which the girl playfully hits him and moves in closer. The kissing once again begins.

Suddenly the girl's phone rings and she leaves her man, undoubtedly to share her excitement with whoever is on the other end. Or, perhaps, her parents are calling and she doesn't want them to know about her escapades, so she has to temporarily escape the situation. The guy, meanwhile, props himself against the building out of sight of his girl, probably in attempt to slow his racing heart and hide the excitement he feels (after all, guys have to play it cool, right?).

After the phone call the two begin taking pictures of the area...remembrances, perhaps? I tottered between whether the couple was Mexican or Asian (based off of their hair and skin color). However, after seeing the flurry of random pictures they just took of a remote, unsightly part of campus, I know they must be Asian.

Slowly the couple leave the area to return back to campus civilization. Step by step they climb the stairs. My grandpa, if he were still alive, could climb the stairs faster than these two. Obviously they don't want to leave, but must have somewhere to go. Two sets of stairs later and the guy leans in for another kiss. She pulls away though....the nature of a girl to have decency in public. After all, apparently two flights of stairs makes a difference in whether or not people can see you?

After one last embrace, the two return back to campus, without a hint that anything even happened. This probably won't be the last of their escapades in remote parts of campus. And to think...they probably never considered their meeting would be analyzed, hypothesized on, and then posted on the internet...odd how life is.

Do something random today. You never know who's watching. You may inspire someone to write and prove their hypotheses on human interactions completely wrong, adding intrigue to their otherwise uneventful day.

1 comment: